REDIRECTING TO VISIBLEBANKING.COM
Because there is an alternative to iOS and the almighty combo iPhone / iPad, my team has started to track the activity from the financial services industry on Google's Android Market.
Soon, we will officially launch our Visible Banking Android Watch series, in addition to our popular Visible Banking Twitter Watch Series (over 1,650 accounts in 73 countries) and Visible Banking Facebook Watch series (over 1,300 pages and apps in 75 countries).
In the meantime, we would like to share with you a few insights on the highest profile mobile banking apps for Android provided by the retail banking industry.
Please find below the charts of the mobile banking applications offered by retail banks which made the Top Free apps in the finance category of the Android Market (75 applications in total).
1. 22 mobile banking apps from retail banks in the Top 75 Free Finance Apps
2. 10 countries represented (50% of those apps from the APAC region)
3. 5 apps from the UK (top country)
4. 4 Top Developers
5. 2 only two US financial institutions
6. 0 Editor Choice (please note that Mint.com's app is an EC)
7. 1,000,000 only 2 apps installed more than 1M times each (PayPal, Chase)
8. 10,000 lowest installs (Bank of Scotland)
9. 3.5M biggest app (PayPal)
10. 136k smallest app (State Bank of India)
11. 2 apps updated in 2012 so far (Maybank, Chase)
12. 1 app rated 'High Maturity' but surely without any sex or violence involved (Citibank India)
13. 3.72 average rating
14. 4.4 highest mark (OCBC Bank)
15. 2.8 lowest mark (Santander)
16. 3,766 average number of ratings
17. 43,569 largest number of ratings (Chase Mobile)
18. 35 lowest number of ratings (Bank of Scotland)
19. 7,200 most shared on Google+ (PayPal)
20. 3 video demos (cf below)
Please find below the only three videos displayed on the application pages covered in this post.
FNB (South Africa)
FNB Banking App - a first from FNB (posted on 20 July 2011 - 2,891 views)
Supernet Móvil (uploaded on 18 February 2011 - 73,995 views)
OCBC Mobile Banking on Android (uploaded on 28 March 2011 - 4,667 views)
So, with the imminent launch of Windows Metro and the high quality app ecosystem 'built' by Apple, how important do you consider Android as part of your mobile banking strategy?
Would you consider ever launching an app on the Android Market first?
Related articles on Visible-Banking.com
* All my posts related to Twitter
* All my posts related to Facebook
* Visible Banking Directory: Social Media in Financial Services
* Visible Banking Social Media Watch Series (Twitter, Facebook, Blogs)