In May 2009, I started tracking the financial institutions (FIs) on facebook (only 128 accounts back then!). It will always be a work in progress, so please don't hesitate to get back to me to flag any missing initiatives.
My Visible Banking Social Media Watch Series (twitter, facebook, blog, youtube) gives me access to some great, and unique, insights. On regular basis, I share some of those key stats and insights with you on my blog, twitter, and facebook, and I provide some second-to-none recommendations to my clients.
Visible Banking Facebook Watch Series now tracking 720 pages, groups, and applications in 69 countries: banks, credit unions, insurance firms, financial services and investment firms, credit card companies.
I invite you to check the insights included in the slide below (data collected on 31/12/2010) and compare those figures with the ones from last month.
For the first time, I decided to come up with three Top 10s instead of a single Top 10 for all categories: one for banks, one for credit cards, one for insurance. So, how much do you like this new approach?
Banking - Top 10 most liked pages:
1. Chase Community Giving (Chase Bank), 2. Barclays Football (Barclays Bank), 3. mitiempo.pe (Interbank), 4. RBS 6 NATIONS (RBS), 5. usaa (USAA), 6. GTBank (GT Bank), 7. BNP PARIBAS NET (BNP Paribas). 8. Interbank Peru (Interbank), 9. KBank Live (Kasikornbank), 10. Popular (Banco Popular).
Due to the new format with three Top 10s, we have a brand new banking Top 10 this month. We are delighted to see so much diversity: no less than 7 countries are represented in this new Top 10. Awesome.
Our data collection team identified another facebook account from Interbank in Peru: mitiempo.pe which made it directly to #3 with his 300k+ fans.
Pages dedicated to sport experienced a very strong month with over 60% growth for RBS 6 NATION and 25% for Barclays Football. Popular is the only 'corporate' page to enjoy a similar growth with an increase of fans close to 30%.
Once more BNP PARIBAS NET is the only page of the top 10 which didn't enjoy any growth last month, demonstrating the challenge ahead for the French bank which hasn't started yet to manage its community.
Credit Cards - Top 10 most liked pages:
1. Small Business Saturday (American Express), 2. Members Project (American Express), 3. American Express (American Express), 4. ZYNC (American Express), 5. Visa Go World (Visa), 6. OPEN (American Express), 7. Visa Signature (Visa), 8. Barclaycard (Barclays), 9. Discover (Discover), 10. SCB CREDIT CARD (SCB).
What can I say? American Express is the clear king of facebook, not only in the credit card category but overall. The financial services firm counts 5 pages over 80k, 2 pages over 500k and 1 page well over 1 million fans!
And not only those pages are massively followed, their growth rates are still commandable: over 210% for OPEN, close to 200% for their corporate page, and still over 30% for Small Business Saturday ('SBS', launched in early November 2010). I invite you to check my comprehensive coverage of SBS.
Insurance - Top 10 most liked pages:
1. The GEICO Gecko (GEICO), 2. Thumbs Up (Allstate), 3. GEICO (GEICO), 4. Mayhem (Allstate), 5. State Farm Insurance (State Farm), 6. Zero Tracas MMA (MMA), 7. Allianz Knowledge (Allianz), 8. Aviva Stadium (Aviva), 9. American Family Insurance (AmFam), 10. The World's Greatest Spokerperson in the World (Nationwide).
Related Articles on Visible-Banking.com
* All my posts related to Facebook
* Visible Banking Facebook Watch: Tracking 600+ Pages, Groups, Apps in 60+ Countries
* 10 Reasons for the Success of the American Express 'Small Business Saturday' Facebook Page
* Will Ashton Kutcher Accept to Join the Jury of TIAA-CREF's new Facebook Contest, Raise the Rate?
* ASB Bank Launches a Virtual Branch 1.0 on Facebook
* Visible Banking Directory: Social Media in Financial Services
* Visible Banking Social Media Watch Series (Twitter, Facebook, Blogs, YouTube)