In March 2009, I started tracking the financial institutions (FIs) on twitter (only 54 accounts back then!). It will always be a work in progress, so please don't hesitate to get back to me to flag any missing initiatives.
My Visible Banking Social Media Watch Series (twitter, facebook, blog, youtube) gives me access to some great, and unique, insights. On regular basis, I share some of those key stats and insights with you, my blog readers, my twitter followers, and my facebook fans, and provide second-to-none recommendations to my clients.
In August, I talked you through the top 10 most followed financial insititutions on twitter.
I invite you to watch my video which is still very relevant.
Visible Banking Twitter Watch Series now tracking 1,355 accounts in 71 countries: banks, credit unions, insurance, credit card, and financial services & investment firms.
I invite you to check the insights included in the slide below (data collected on 02/01/2011) and compare those figures with the ones from last month.
Top 10 most followed financial institutions:
1. @AmericanExpress (American Express), 2. @Banesco (Banesco), 3. @KBank_Live (Kasikornbank PCL), 4. @scb_thailand (SCB), 5. @santander_br (Banco Santander), 6. @Discover (Discover), 7. @INGDIRECT (ING Direct), 8. @OPENForum (American Express), 9. @BBVAProvincial (BBVA), 10. @SCBEasy (SCB).
I believe @AmericanExpress became the first financial services firm to break the 100k follower mark on twitter. Congrats to their social media team!
Other than that, no changes from last month in the Top 5. Then we found the same accounts but in a different order: @Discover had a great month and climbed three rankings to #6.
@banxico, @usaa and @BancoDoBrasil are all less than 1k followers away from @SCBEasy but with lower growth rates.
American Express remains "the king of twitter" with two accounts (one focused on B2C, the other on B2B) totalling now close to 120k followers. SCB in Thailand is the only other financial institution with two accounts placed in the top 10.
Latin America and Asia are still well represented in the top 10 with three accounts each. There is still no accounts from Europe in the Top 10. The first European account on our list, @DavisCup by BNP Paribas, is still number 17 with almost 9k followers.
Top 10 fastest growing accounts:
1. @AmericanExpress (American Express), 2. @Discover (Discover), 3. @Banesco (Banesco), 4. @santander_br (Banco Santander), 5. @BNI46 (BNI), 6. @KBank_Live (Kasikornbank PCL), 7. @BBVAProvincial (BBVA), 8. @scb_thailand (SCB), 9. @bancodechile (Banco de Chile), 10. @SCBEasy (SCB).
The Top 3 is unchanged. @AmericanExpress managed to beat last month's record breaking number (36k) with close to 40k new followers! Simply amazing. @Discover is a distant second with a sizable 5,3k new followers.
This month the top 10 fastest growing accounts added 66,821 followers compared to 59,593 followers last month. It is a staggering +12% growth month on month.
No more European bank in the Top 10, but Asia and Latin America are gaining ground with 4 accounts each at the Top.
Top 10 most followed insurance firms:
1. @StateFarm (State Farm), 2. @allstate (Allstate), 3. @AAAuto (AAA), 4. @Progressive (Progressive Insurance), 5. @VPI (Veterinary Pet Insurance), 6. @ChubbInsurance (Chubb Insurance), 7. @AAADiscounts (AAA), 8. @FarmersGroup (Farmers Insurance), 9. @TruPanion (TruPanion Pet Insurance), 10. @Nationwide (Nationwide).
The US insurance firms are trusting the Top 10. The first non US firm on my list is FBD Insurance in Ireland (#20 with 2,279 fans).
@StateFarm is still the clear leader with 1.3k more followers than @allstate. There is a huge gap between the Top 4 accounts and 6-10 which are separated by about 820 followers.
I am keen to talk to you about twitter, facebook, customer reviews, social media & social commerce in banking, financial services, and insurance.
Don't hesitate to call me (0044 7736 446 357), send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or DM me (@Visible_Banking).
Related articles on Visible-Banking.com
* All my posts related to Twitter
* About Visible Banking & Christophe Langlois
* Top 10 Most Followed Financial Institutions on Twitter in December 2010
* Top 10 Most Liked Financial Institutions on Facebook in December 2010
* Visible Banking Directory: Social Media in Financial Services
* Visible Banking Social Media Watch Series (Twitter, Facebook, Blogs, YouTube)